Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats hosted a Paul Simon tribute they called American Tune Review on Saturday at the Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island and were joined by the honoree for the final four songs.
Simon hit the stage, for "Graceland," with Jerry Douglas joining in on dobro; "American Tune, with Rhiannon Giddins helping out on vocals; and an ensemble finale of "The Boxer," before closing the show with a solo performance of "The Sound of Silence."
Before that Rateliff and his group had been joined by different artists on most of the 10 Simon songs they'd played, including Marcus Mumford on "Cecelia," Natalie Merchant on "El Condor Pasa," Lucius on "Mother and Child Reunion" and Lukas Nelson on "Homeward Bound."
There's audience-shot video of most of the performances on YouTube. The Boxer is below.
Full Setlist and Guests:
- Mother and Child Reunion (with Lucius)
- Me and Julio Down by the School Yard
- 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (with Lee Fields)
- Slip Sliding Away (with Courtney Marie Andrews)
- St. Judy's Comet (with Midlake)
- El Condor Pasa (with Natalie Merchant, Adia Victoria and The Silk Road Ensemble)
- Homeward Bound (with Lukas Nelson)
- Cecilia (with Marcus Mumford)
- You Can Call Me Al
- Graceland (with Paul Simon and Jerry Douglas)
- American Tune (with Paul Simon and Rhiannon Giddens)
- The Boxer (with Paul Simon and the American Tune Revue ensemble)
- Sounds of Silence (Paul Simon -- solo acoustic)